What is LTL Shipping?
Less-than-truckload or LTL shipping is the transportation of small freight that doesn’t require an entire trailer. This shipping method is an option when freight weighs between 150 and 15,000 pounds.
Less-than-truckload allows you to pay only for the portion of a truck trailer that your freight occupies while other customers’ freight fills the remaining space in the trailer. While LTL shipping can take longer due to multiple stops for loading and unloading, it offers a more economical option for many businesses.
LTL shipping offers many benefits including:
- Cost Savings: LTL allows businesses to share transportation costs with other shippers. As a result, you only pay for the portion of the truck your freight occupies, instead of an entire truckload.
- Flexibility: LTL shipments provide flexibility for businesses with varying shipping volumes. You can ship as much or as little as needed without committing to a full truckload.
- Expedited Services: LTL carriers may offer expedited services for time-sensitive shipments, allowing businesses to choose faster transit options when needed.
- Easy Tracking: The ability to track and trace your shipment as it’s transported allows you to provide customers with up-to-date status information and proactively troubleshoot shipment issues if they occur.
- Reduced Environmental Impact: Sharing truck space means fewer trucks on the road, leading to reduced carbon emissions and a smaller footprint.
Get Started with a Free LTL Shipping Quote!
As beneficial as LTL shipping can be, the complexities of this shipping method can be confusing leading to increased costs and causing you to fall short of customer expectations.
By using an LTL shipping market leader with deep expertise, like BlueGrace, you can reduce costs, minimize claims, and boost service delivery times. This gives you a competitive advantage by providing you access to our BlueShip technology combined with our expert shipping guidance.
With BlueGrace as your LTL shipping partner, you receive:
- Access to premium LTL capacity with blanket rates through our extensive network of carriers.
- Greater freight visibility with our award-winning transportation management system (TMS), BlueShip.
- A powerful LTL shipping network for scale and stability. Additionally, take advantage of an array of LTL lanes to easily navigate challenges, like service outages and seasonal price spikes.
- Greater productivity with less complexity with our BlueShip platform. This platform seamlessly integrates with your systems to provide a comprehensive picture of your supply chain, allowing you to optimize your less-than-truckload shipping.
Overcome the complexities of LTL shipping with BlueGrace as your partner. Contact us today for a free quote!
Managing the Realities of the “New Normal” LTL Shipping Environment
Managing the Realities of the “New Normal” LTL Shipping Environment Read The Logistics Blog®
The BlueShip® Platform
Simplify your LTL with the proprietary BlueShip Rating Engine built for speed, accuracy, and performance. This LTL rating engine delivers thousands of rates in seconds through a single instance platform - so you can quote with confidence. As an open platform, it allows for an easy and accessible API with a software development kit available.BOOK A DEMO
Built on a modern tech-stack with software products designed to support an increasing amount of transportation and modes. Full truckload, less-than-truckload, refrigerated, temperature controlled, flatbed, intermodal and more. BlueShip TMS is designed with flexibility and customization to support multiple modes and multiple integrations that provide the highest level of visibility across your supply chain.LEARN MORE
Freight Tracking and Visibility
Having complete visibility to your freight is a necessity. With the BlueShip platform, you'll have access to built-in tracking, making it effortless to see where your freight is, every step of the way.LEARN MORE
Predictive Analytics, Actionable Data & Meaningful Insights
BlueShip drives value through understanding, comprehending, and visualizing your logistics network data. Based on highly clean and accurate data, this gives you deep visibility across your supply chain. It allows for AI and machine learning, as well as predictive and prescriptive decision support analytics to build resilience, prepare for disruption and increase operations efficiency.DOWNLOAD THE WHITE PAPER